Sunday, September 14, 2008

Our Family History

Ever since I can remember, whenever people heard of my last name they would ask me if I'm Japanese. And it will be followed by my confused answer, "Uhmnn... Malayo na pong ninuno (distant ancestors?)", when in truth I really have no idea. So one day I asked my dad about it and he told me this interesting story.

During 19th century Hispanic Period in the Philippines, there was a Filipino writer we only know by his surname, Donada. He is from Pasay City; any relation with Donada Street there still needs to be verified. Anyway, he was one of those writers who are against the Spanish colonizers and was exiled to Japan because of this. During his exile, he wrote opposing the maltreatment of exiles in Japan and he was sentenced to death by beheading. End of story. Hahaha just kidding. Before sunrise (the time he was schedule to be beheaded), he was able to escape and he went into hiding in a small town in Japan. There he met a girl we only know by her surname, Tanabe (ta da! that's my malayong ninuno hehe). Then nagkamabutihan sila (translation please). Their relationship blossomed and they got married. Because Donada is still wanted by the Japanese government, they registered using the girl's surname, Tanabe, so he can't be traced. They were blessed with only one offspring, a boy. The name of that boy is Alexandro Tanabe. (to be continued..)

No comments: